Information for Contributors
You will be asked to agree to the terms of a Contributor Agreement and create a user account to submit works for inclusion in ScholarWorks. Your submission must comply with the ScholarWorks Submission Guidelines
ScholarWorks Contributor Agreement
To administer this repository and preserve the contents for future use, ScholarWorks requires certain permissions from you, the contributor. By making a submission to ScholarWorks, you are accepting the terms of this license. however, you do not give up the copyright to your work. You do not give up the right to submit the work to publishers or other repositories.
By executing this Agreement, you represent and agree that:
- You are the author or of the submitted work or you have been authorized by the copyright holder, and the submission is original work.
- You have all the rights necessary to submit the work and, if you are not the copyright holder, the copyright holder has been properly attributed.
- You are affiliated with Walden as an alumnus, current staff member, or current or emeritus faculty member.
- If you are a staff member or faculty member, your Walden affiliation is noted on the title page or acknowledgements, or elsewhere in the submitted document.
- You hold the copyright to this document, or you have been authorized by the copyright holder(s) to upload it for distribution, and you agree to permit this document to be posted, and made available to the public in any format in perpetuity.
- If the work has multiple copyright holders, all copyright holders have agreed to submit the work to ScholarWorks.
- The submission contains no libelous or other unlawful matter and makes no improper invasion of the privacy of any other person.
- Several research funding agencies (in particular the National Institute of Health) now require or request authors to submit the post-print (the article after peer review and acceptance but not the final published article) to a repository that is accessible online by all without charge. If the submission is based upon work that has been sponsored or supported by an agency, you have fulfilled any right of review or other obligations required by such contract or agreement.
- You have obtained any required consents, permissions or licenses, and/or institutional research board approvals, from Walden University and/or any other funding or sponsoring agencies.
- The submission fits the guidelines for inclusion listed here.
- The submission will be maintained in an open access online digital environment via the ScholarWorks portal. Because works on ScholarWorks are openly available online to anyone with internet access, you do not hold Walden University responsible for third party use of the submission.
ScholarWorks (the Website) is owned and maintained by Walden University, LLC (Walden). All content that you upload to this Website (a Submission) will be available to the public. You represent and warrant that you have the right to upload any such Submission and make it available to the public. By uploading a Submission to the Website you hereby grant Walden a limited license to review the Submission for the purposes of review of scholarly content; to distribute the Submission to the public on the Website; to make and retain copies of the Submission; and to archive the Submission in a publicly accessible collection. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold Walden harmless from and against any and all claims, suits or proceedings, demands, losses, damages, liabilities and costs and expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or resulting from the actual or alleged infringement of any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret or any other intellectual property right in connection with any Submission.
Walden will not be required to treat any Submission as confidential.
If any Submission uploaded by you, in whatever format, is deemed by Walden, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate for whatever reason, Walden reserves the right to remove the Submission from the Website. Walden is not responsible for any inappropriate Submission.
Inquiries regarding ScholarWorks submissions to:
Mackenzie Salisbury, Digital Repository Librarian
100 Washington Avenue South, Suite 900
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Email inquiries may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
ScholarWorks Submission Guidelines
To best represent the spectrum of Walden University’s scholarly communications, ScholarWorks maintains an inclusive collection based on the principle of open access, which emphasizes broad electronic dissemination of scholarly works. ScholarWorks enables us to capture, preserve and distribute the intellectual output of Walden University.
ScholarWorks primarily supports work that has been produced, submitted, or sponsored by Walden faculty, staff, and alumni.
Appropriate content which you contribute (a Submission) may be added following the guidelines below:
- The work must be original, and it must be produced and submitted, or sponsored by a faculty, staff, student, alumni, organization, or department of Walden University
- The work must be creative, scholarly in nature, research oriented, or of institutional significance
- The author or contributor must own the copyright to all components and content within the work, or have received permission to have the material available in ScholarWorks
- The author or representative of the organization or department must agree to the site’s contributor agreement prior to material being submitted to the repository, granting Walden University the right to distribute and preserve the material via ScholarWorks
- Contributors may include non-affiliated scholars if they are co-authoring with Walden authors, are affiliated closely with the university (e.g., if they are faculty emeriti or hold honorary appointments), or are submitting via a Walden-sponsored publication, conference, or event. Contributors should notify all co-authors of intent to submit work to ScholarWorks
- Although most content is open access, some material may be available only to current university faculty, staff and students, or may be the subject of a publishing embargo for a fixed period as mandated by a sponsoring agency’s stipulations
- The work must be in digital form, including supplementary materials. Ideally, all of the digital components of a submission will be provided as a set
- Submissions are intended to be permanent contributions
- If a work is part of a larger series or set of related works, these other works should also be contributed so that as full a set as possible is offered
- A wide range of file formats is accepted (including text files, datasets, files, and video files) and there is no formal limit to size of material. Examples of possible content include:
- Journals produced by the Walden community
- Published articles preprints or post prints when copyright and/or license allow
- Published, preprint or post print monographs or book chapters when copyright and/or license allow
- Links to organizational or conference websites or lists of working papers, conference papers, and technical reports which are written as a result of a Walden research grant or award program, will be provided in ScholarWorks
- Data sets
- Institutional or organizational research reports, and related materials
- Image collections or audiovisual materials, either primary or supplementary
Please note that the following content is not permitted for submission/publication to ScholarWorks:
- Manuscript copies of conference papers
- Curricular or classroom materials
- Faculty handbooks or job aids
- Departmental newsletters
- FERPA-protected information, including student email addresses
- HIPAA-regulated information (protected health information), including any information related to the past, present or future physical or mental health of an individual, except only if the individual has authorized release of his or her information in writing, and such release is in the hands of the publisher
- Content barred by law or regulation from publication
- Intellectual property for which the contributor does not have permission to submit and distribute
- Non-public personally identifiable financial or contact information of any kind, including, but not limited to, social security numbers, credit/debit card numbers, account numbers, account balances, and private residential addresses, except only where such records preexist as legitimate publicly accessible records outside the university
- Photographic depictions of individuals in areas where a reasonable expectation of privacy exists, except only if all individuals depicted have given written consent to publication of their image
- Records protected by state privacy laws. Please note that privacy laws vary by state, and protect their residents even when they are out of state
- The rightsholder retains the copyright for all works submitted.
- The contributor is free to reuse the content, but if the content published in ScholarWorks is published elsewhere, it may be subject to restrictions in other publication agreements.
- Contributors sign an agreement outlining the terms and conditions under which the submission is made.
- All users must respect the intellectual property rights of the copyright owner.
- Materials may be downloaded for education and research purposes provided due recognition (a proper citation) is given to the author.
- Material may not be copied, distributed, displayed, altered, or used for commercial purposes, unless such use is specified.
Contributor and Author Rights
Please consult the Contributor FAQ for answers to additional frequently asked questions about ScholarWorks and the submission process.