Goal Statement: My goal for this portfolio is to increase prevention and education efforts in collaboration with the education system to decrease suicide risk, ideation, and behavior.
Significant Findings: Reports from adolescents in Malheur County indicate that suicidality is a significant problem with higher than (state) average rates of suicidal ideation (Boyd, et al., 2017). The lack of resources in rural areas make accessing mental health services difficult. As a result, the school system is a good place to provide much needed prevention programs to support student mental health. This portfolio will discuss adolescent suicide prevention through the utilization of an evidence based, school-based program that seeks to connect prosocial adults with diverse students to change the culture and climate of their schools.
Objectives/Strategies/Interventions/Next Steps: The proposed next steps for this project include the following:
- Conduct a needs assessment across Malheur County middle and high schools.
- Use results from needs assessment to develop and implement interventions at the individual, group, and community level.
- Meet with administrators and superintendents to share data and obtain “buy-in” for the Sources of Strength program.
- Recruit and train adult advisors and peer leaders to implement Sources of Strength within schools throughout the county.
- Encourage regular campaigns through Sources of Strength, spreading messages of hope, help, and strength across our schools and communities.